- Cooking Time: 30minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 package (1 lb. 9 oz.) frozen gnocchi or make your own recipe for gnocchi
- 6 oz. oyster mushrooms
- 6 oz. baby bella mushrooms, dark gills scraped off
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 lb. frozen pearl onions (or sub 1 medium sliced sweet onion)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chiffonade of basil
- 1/3 cup shredded Italian blend cheese or Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the gnocchi according to package directions for about 3 minutes. They are done when they float to the top. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water, and transfer to a serving platter. Keep warm.
- Lighly rinse the mushrooms and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Set aside
- Heat the live oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute: do not brown.
- Add the pearl onions and continue to saute until they start to become tender and turn golden in color. Add the mushrooms. Cook until they release their juices and are tender, for about 8 minutes.
- Remove all the ingredients from the skillet and toss with the gnocchi.
- To make the basil cream: Keep the skillet over medium heat and add the white wine. Deglaze by scraping up any browned bits on the bottom. Stir in the chicken broth and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the half and half/cornstarch mixture over medium heat. Don't have the heat too high, or the sauce will curdle. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, and stir in the peas; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the basil and cheese, and heat through until chees melts. Pour the sauce over the gnocchi mixture and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
NotesWe had this recipe at our Country Club and I asked for the recipe from the chef.