- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large orange or yellow bell pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds yellow or orange tomatoes, peeled (see Tip) and cored, divided
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2-3 red or green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, for garnish (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place bell pepper on a baking sheet and broil, turning every 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin is blackened and blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the pepper to a bowl, cover, and let steam until the skin is loosened, about 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skin. Discard stem, seeds and ribs.
- Place the roasted pepper and half the tomatoes in a blender; and onion and oil and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large metal bowl. Puree the remaining tomatoes until smooth and add to the bowl; stir to combine. Refrigerate the gazpacho until chilled, at least 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with jalapenos, if desired.
- NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 104 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrate; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 452 mg sodium; 803 mg potassium.
- Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Folate (25% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
- 1 Carbohydrate Serving
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
- TIP: To peel tomatoes: Make a small X in the bottom of each tomato and plunge into boiling water until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Peel with a paring knife, starting at the X.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More