- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryToss together a healthful, low-fat potato salad with mouth-watering golden potatoes, onion, celery and bacon. The creamy, yet fat-free dressing is mostly nutrient-rich fruit and veggies, too. In fact, the dressing gets its non-fat creaminess from puréed, vitamin A-rich canned sweet potatoes.
- For the Creamy Harvest Dressing:
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) sweet potatoes or yams in light syrup, drained
- 1 slice yellow onion, 1/2-inch thick
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped, flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- For the salad:
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, washed, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, peeled and finely diced
- 2 bacon strips, cooked crisp, fat drained and crumbled
- To make the dressing, purée all of the dressing ingredients, except for the parsley, in a blender or food processor until smooth; stir in the parsley.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. While still hot toss the potatoes, onion, celery, bacon and the dressing prepared before; set aside to cool.
- Nutrition Information for Dressing Per Serving: Calories 50; Total fat 0g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 95mg; Total carbohydrate 12g; Fiber 1g; Protein 1g; Vitamin A 70%DV*; Vitamin C 15%DV; Folate 2%DV; Calcium 2%DV; Iron 2%DV; Potassium 3%DV
- Nutrition Information for Dressed Salad Per Serving: Calories 160; Total fat 1g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 135mg; Total carbohydrate 36g; Fiber 3g; Protein 3g; Vitamin A 70%DV; Vitamin C 30%DV; Folate 6%DV; Calcium 2%DV; Iron 6%DV; Potassium 15%DV
- *Daily Value
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
GRILLED MISO-CITRUS SCALLOP LOLLIPOPS
Chocolate Panna CottaSee More