- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 quart salted water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pound unpeeled medium shrimp ( 31/40 count to a pound)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons bottled One of our favorite, summer recipe’s. Cool and refreshing.
- hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber (If English Cucumber no need to peel)
- 1/2 cup diced Jicama
- 2 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Salt to taste
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Tostada shells, tortilla chips or saltine crackers, for serving
- Cooking and marinating the shrimp:
- Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add shrimp, cover and return to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, pour off all liquid.
- Spread out shrimp in large bowl to cool completely.
- Peel shrimp, and de-vein.
- Toss shrimp with remaining 1/2 cup lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- The Salsa:
- In a small strainer, rinse chopped onion under cold water, then shake off excess liquid. Add to shrimp bowl along with chopped cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, olive oil, cucumber and jicama. Mix gently, taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate up to a few hours, or serve immediately.
- Serving the ceviche:
- Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses or small bowls. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro, diced avocado and wedge of lime.
- Tostada shells, chips, or crackers on side.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Blue Collar Beer Cheese Dip
Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter FrostingSee More