- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 120g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose/plain flour
- 45g unsalted softened butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Position a rack to the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, and butter the sides of your tart tins.
- To make the crust - mix together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla, then add the flour and mix till well combined - this is a very crumbly dough so don’t expect to be able to knead it or roll it out. Press it into your tart tins thinly and evenly, then bake for about 20 mins, or till they begin to go golden in colour. Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 120 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, mix up the filling - place the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and cream in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat while constantly stirring. Once the mixture is smooth and begins to bubble around the edges, remove from the heat and stir in the espresso powder and vanilla. Leave the mixture to cool slightly, and once it is just warm, thoroughly whisk in the egg.
- Pour the filling into the tart cases, then put them into the oven for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes is up, turn it off and leave them in there for another 10-15 minutes, or till the mixture in the centre is solid enough that it wiggles like jello when jiggled. Put the tarts in the fridge to firm up and set, but bring back to room temperature before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More