- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis was featured on Gordon Ramsay's Cookalong Live show. For the steaks themselves, simply sauté in olive oil on each side for about a minute and drain excess oil. Then make the sauce in the same pan.
- olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- dijon mustard
- Using the same pan that you seared your steak in, place it on a moderate heat and add some fresh olive oil. Do not wash it up or clean it as you want all the flavour of the steak to be imparted into the sauce.
- Now add the butter and olive oil. You need to add both at the same time as the olive oil will prevent the butter from burning.
- Only when the butter has properly melted, add your mushrooms and shallots. Don’t be tempted to flood the pan with excess butter and olive oil as mushrooms are like sponges, and will soak up all the moisture.
- You want to soften the mushrooms and shallots, not fry them, as this will help release the sweetness of the shallots and intensify the flavour of the mushrooms.
- Add your mustard and Worcestershire sauce and mix well in the pan.
- Now it's time to flambé with the brandy. Flambéeing gives the sauce all the rich flavour of the liqueur whilst burning off the alcohol. Remember to use extreme caution here, you are dealing with a liquid that is on fire, so keep a lid on hand to cover the saucepan just in case the flambé gets out of control. **Never lean over the flames, always stand back.** Holding your saucepan firmly in one hand, or if need be both, tilt the pan away from you. If cooking on a gas stove with an open flame, pour the alcohol into the sauce and allow it to catch light immediately – this will happen when the alcohol and gas flames meet. Once this happens the alcohol will ignite. Let the alcohol cook until the flames disappear; this indicates that all the alcohol has burned off. If the flame doesn’t disappear you can blow on it to put it out.
- To finish the sauce add the cream and stir well so that the flavors are evenly distributed.
- Add parsley.
- Take your steaks and place them back in the pan. Cook for as long as you like your steak done and serve immediately.