GOUDA / SPINACH MACARONI E FORMAGGIO
Gouda / Spinach Macaroni e Formaggio
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 3 TB unsalted butter
- 2 Shallots minced fine
- 1 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 TB AP Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Milk (If you use goat milk, use 2 cups and drop the 1/2 & 1/2)
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground White or Green pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 cup shredded Gouda (I use Goat milk Gouda from Trader Joes, it melts better)
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 10 oz pkg frozen spinach (thawed and excess water squeezed out)
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow pasta
Preheat oven to 350°.
Drop Elbow or Conchiglia (shells) into salted boiling water;
Cook for 2 minutes less than package directions;
Drain well for elbows like to hold onto water.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 TB butter.
When Foam subsides, add onions and garlic;
Sauté about 1 minute.
Add flour and stir to coat;
Continue cooking for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion roux is light blonde.
Gradually add milk, half and half, salt, mustard powder and pepper, whisking constantly until blended and smooth.
Bring to a boil, continuing to whisk constantly.
Cook until white sauce becomes thick.
Add cheeses a little at a time and stir until melted and smooth before next addition.
Add spinach and macaroni to mornay sauce, stirring until well blended.
Remove saucepan from heat and mix in 1/4 cup of the Pecorino Romano
Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish rubbed with olive oil or butter.
Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Romano cheese, then with Panko.
Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly