Grain-Free Lemon Sugar Cookies
Why I Love This Recipe
The holidays are no time to skimp on yummy food, but holiday treats can be serious bah-humbugs for people with health-related eating restrictions. No nuts, no wheat and no chocolate doesn’t have to mean no fun! This recipe turns classic sugar cookies into delicious sweet-tart surprises everyone can enjoy.
Ingredients You'll Need
For Grain-Free Lemon Sugar Cookies:
1 cup solid coconut oil (if yours is on the melty side, fill a one-cup measuring cup with oil and place it in the refrigerator for about one minute)
½ cup coconut sugar
6 large eggs
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon lemon extract
1 ½ cups coconut flour, sifted
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Zest of one lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk (use dairy, almond, rice or soy)
½ teaspoon lemon extract
2-3 drops natural yellow food coloring if available
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream coconut oil and sugar. Add eggs and beat with a hand or standing mixer for about one minute or until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients until the zest is well incorporated throughout the batter.
4. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls—about 1 tablespoon of dough per ball. Place balls 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheet. Flatten lightly with the back of a spatula so each cookie is approximately ¼-inch thick.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cookies have turned lightly golden.
6. Carefully slide the entire piece of parchment paper onto a cooling rack, and allow cookies to cool completely before icing.
1. In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together to make a smooth, somewhat runny icing.
2. Dip a fork into the icing and quickly move the fork over the cookies in a back and forth motion. Continue until all cookies have the desired amount of icing stripes.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cookies