- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryNeeded a frosting for red velvet cupcakes that wasn't cream cheese based-husband won't eat it. Loves the Grand Ma though so the idea was born to marry red velvet cupcakes with Grand Marnier Buttercream and finish it off with dark chocolate shavings.
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
- Powdered Sugar (I never measure it before hand, I use however much it takes, usually 3/4lb to 1 lb)
- 1 stick Butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 stick Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup Milk (skimmed or 2%)
- 1 tsp Vanilla (good vanilla)
- Mix the shortening and the (room temperature) butter together on medium speed until light and fluffy & well blended.
- Add the vanilla (adding it now stops the buttercream from becoming "yellow" in color). On slow speed mix until the vanilla is incorporated.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar (I always re sift mine no matter how many times it's been previously sifted!)
- 1/2 cup at a time & blend at a low/medium speed until incorporated and the buttercream is almost at spreading consistency. Now add the milk and blend on medium speed, add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Let the mixture go on a slow speed for about 10 minutes (the slower you mix it the whiter it gets without the use of white food color).
- Now, add the Grand Marnier SLOWLY and mix until well blended. Let it rest for a few minutes before applying to your cake. (Add more powdered sugar if the mixture is too thin for your liking).
- This should fill and cover an 8" and 6" cake.