- Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- One 9” pie shell, baked
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 C boiling water
- 1-1/2 T flour
- 2 T butter
- 3 T cornstarch
- Rind of lemon
- 6 T lemon juice
- 5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 1-1/4 C sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Meringue Ingredients:
- 3 egg whites
- 6 T sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Directions: Lemon Filling
- Put water, butter, and lemon rind in top of double boiler and let butter melt.
- Sift sugar, flour, corn starch, and salt into slightly beaten yolks.
- Add lemon juice slowly and mix until smooth.
- Add to water mixture and stir until thick.
- Take off heat.
- Cool slightly.
- Fold beaten whites into mixture.
- Directions: Meringue:
- Beat egg whites and sugar.
- While beating, add cream of tartar to keep meringue nice after baking.
- Put hot lemon mix into baked pie shell
- Top with meringue, sealing edges well.
- Bake at 375 to 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned.
NotesYield: One 9” pie.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More