- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Toss 5 cups fresh blackberries with
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, stir to mix well and pour them into a well greased
- 1 1/2 qt baking dish. Sprinkle 4-5 Tbsp sifted flour over the berries, dot them with butter, set aside.
- In large bowl:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut up in pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- Using pastry blender mix dry ingredients well to make mixture look sifted. Cut in butter pieces until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in milk forming mixture into a ball. Turn out into lightly floured board and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness and round or oval to fit dish. Cover berries with the dough and trim edges. Cut vent in center. Sprinkle top generously with sugar and a if you like, a little cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake in 400 oven for 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and berry juice is bubbly through vent. Best served warm and even better with vanilla ice cream.
NotesThis recipe is very old. Since you do not cook and thicken the berries first, the berry juice will not be thick.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More