- Cooking Time: 30 minutes to 3 hours
- Servings: about 6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 3 strips bacon, diced
- 1 15 oz. can pork & beans in tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons catsup (less sweet than ketchup)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon vinegar
- 1.Sauté the bacon in a cast iron, Dutch oven, or skillet until slightly crisp
- 2.Add the chopped onion cooking until slightly browned.
- 3.Pour off any extra liquid and add remaining ingredients; stir well.
- 4.Cover and bake at 300° for several hours or simmer on stove top for about 30 minutes.
NotesThis was my mom's mother's recipe from when she lived briefly in the Texas oil fields in the 20s with my Grandpa. Shortly after they were married he traveled from Ohio farm country for work in Texas. They lived in a tent for a period of time; very hard as Grandma was a very prim and proper lady who had to tolerate the rough and rowdy atmosphere. Doing without, she learned how to make plain food taste great; this simple bean recipe is one example. I am sure she adapted it some over the years but to hear the story, beans were in plentiful supply so she created several versions since they formed a large part of their diet. Hope you all enjoy it!
Submitted by: "Deb Redinger"