- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 50
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 gallon cucumbers, washed and sliced
- 8 onions, peeled and sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 10 trays ice cubes (approx)
- 4-1/2 cups white sugar
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt, and ice. Let sit for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a large pot combine white sugar, white vinegar, turmeric, mustard seed, and celery seed. Bring to a boil.
- Drain vegetables. Add to brine.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Pack into hot sterilized jars.
NotesMy grandma used to make these pickles every year and they are a family favourite. Growing up, I remember my mom making them and having the pail full of sliced cucumbers and onions soaking in ice and salt. I'm so blessed to be able to make a batch with my daughter this summer.
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Adventures in Cooking
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More