- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 50
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 gallon cucumbers, washed and sliced
- 8 onions, peeled and sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 10 trays ice cubes (approx)
- 4-1/2 cups white sugar
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt, and ice. Let sit for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a large pot combine white sugar, white vinegar, turmeric, mustard seed, and celery seed. Bring to a boil.
- Drain vegetables. Add to brine.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Pack into hot sterilized jars.
NotesMy grandma used to make these pickles every year and they are a family favourite. Growing up, I remember my mom making them and having the pail full of sliced cucumbers and onions soaking in ice and salt. I'm so blessed to be able to make a batch with my daughter this summer.
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More