- Cooking Time: 45-60+
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30+
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 large can or carton Chicken Broth
- 1 can Stewed tomatoes
- I bay leaf
- 1 small Yellow onion
- 3 clove Garlic
- 4-6 stocks Celery
- 4-6 Carrots
- 6-8 potatoes
- Small head of Cabbage or small bag of pre shredded.
- Small bag or fresh or frozen Spinage
- 1 Zucchini (opt.)
- 2-3 cups White Rice.
- In a large Stockpot add your chicken broth, Stewed tomatoes, and one bay leaf on med. heat.
- Chop up your Onion and garlic, add to pot.
- Chop your chicken into good sized pieces leaving the bones and skin on, it adds to the flavor. Just be careful while eating later.(you can also fully cook the chicken in the broth and then remove the bones before adding the veggies.)
- While chicken is cooking start chopping your celery and carrots but not to small. Then add to your pot.
- Wash, Peel and Chop your Potatoes into good sized pieces, add to the pot.
- Cover and let simmer, but not boiling for a good 20-30 min. Stir and check it every 10 min or so as needed.
- Chop cabbage add 2 good handfuls to pot.
- Add Frozen spinage to pot about 1 1/2 cup. If using fresh about 2 handfuls.
- chop and add Zucchini to pot
- Cover and let simmer, 20-30 min. Stir and check it every 10 min or so as needed.
- While this is cooking start your white rice (about 2-3 cups) in a separate pan. Both should be done at the same time.
- spoon soup over rice and your done!
- This soup also holds up for a few days, I find that it tastes better on the second day! Great for left overs. and freezes well.
NotesMy grandmother would make this every Saturday for as long as I can remember it was always made with the left over viggies from that weeks dinner. Great anytime it always takes me back to being a little kid in my grandmas kitchen.
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
VivaVeganGal's Family FavoritesSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More