- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- Basic Custard ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 small can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 quart (minus 5 oz.) milk
- Slightly beat eggs, add sugar, salt, and vanilla. Add ½ can of evaporated milk and 1 c. milk, blend. Add remaining evaporated milk and 1 c. milk, blend. Add remaining milk and blend well to dissolve sugar.
- For plain custard, pour into Pyrex cups and bake at 350 degrees until set, about 45 minutes.
- For rice pudding: Boil ½ c. white rice and a dash of salt for ten minutes. Drain and add to basic custard in a baking pan. Shake nutmeg over the top. Place pan in another shallow pan with some water in the bottom and bake same as above.
NotesAnother of my great-grandmother's recipes, this one was the base for bread and rice puddings, as well as filling for berry tarts or pies.
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More