- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- Basic Custard ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 small can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 quart (minus 5 oz.) milk
- Slightly beat eggs, add sugar, salt, and vanilla. Add ½ can of evaporated milk and 1 c. milk, blend. Add remaining evaporated milk and 1 c. milk, blend. Add remaining milk and blend well to dissolve sugar.
- For plain custard, pour into Pyrex cups and bake at 350 degrees until set, about 45 minutes.
- For rice pudding: Boil ½ c. white rice and a dash of salt for ten minutes. Drain and add to basic custard in a baking pan. Shake nutmeg over the top. Place pan in another shallow pan with some water in the bottom and bake same as above.
NotesAnother of my great-grandmother's recipes, this one was the base for bread and rice puddings, as well as filling for berry tarts or pies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More