- Cooking Time: 90 min
- Preparation Time: 105 min
- • 2 cups sifted cake flour
- • 1-1/2 cups sugar
- • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- • 2 tablespoons cocoa (or more)
- • 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground allspice
- • 1/2 cup cold butter
- • 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- • 2 eggs, unbeaten
- • 3/4 cup chopped dates
- • 3/4 cup raisins (you can mix golden and brown)
- • 3/4 cup dried cherries
- • 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl (you may use your stand mixer or a hand-held).
- Drop in the butter in cubes, and add applesauce.
- Beat until blended.
- Add eggs, and beat again until smooth and creamy.
- Add the fruit and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Decorate with topping.
- Topping for loaf pans: 1/4 cup brandy or rum for each loaf (or coffee), and whole pieces of almonds, walnuts and pecans.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- The cakes will look pretty done on top.
- The usual toothpick test is not too reliable because of the moisture in the fruit.
- After the cake has cooled, glaze with the liquor, cover tightly with foil, and refrigerate.
- Let soak at least overnight before serving but it is best to wait one or two weeks, glazing with more rum or brandy as needed.
- Use a variety of nuts - walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, macadamias.
NotesGrandma used to make this fruitcake for the holidays. Better than most, and enjoyed by all who brave a taste.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More