- Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Servings: 9
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. molasses
- 2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 c. hot water
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, mixing well.
- Add egg and molasses, mixing well.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the hot water, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into lightly greased and floured 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
NotesThis is the gingerbread my grandma used to make. I came across the handwritten recipe when I was going through some old cookbooks. The aroma at my grandma's house when she made this was heavenly! She always served it warm with whipped cream.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
Sweet Potato Pizza Dough
Grilled Summer Veggie Pizza
Zesty Italian ChickenSee More