- Cooking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Servings: 9
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. molasses
- 2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 c. hot water
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, mixing well.
- Add egg and molasses, mixing well.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the hot water, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into lightly greased and floured 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
NotesThis is the gingerbread my grandma used to make. I came across the handwritten recipe when I was going through some old cookbooks. The aroma at my grandma's house when she made this was heavenly! She always served it warm with whipped cream.