- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 3/4 cups white sugar
- 8 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To Make Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In medium bowl combine butter, 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 tablespoon sugar and blend together with an electric mixer.
- Press mixture into bottom of baking dish and bake for 15 minutes, until set.
- To Make Filling:
- In large mixing bowl combine 6 egg yolks, 4 tablespoons flour, evaporated milk, 2 cups sugar and rhubarb.
- Stir together and pour over cooled crust.
- Bake for 1 hour, until set.
- To Make Meringue:
- In large mixing bowl, beat 6 egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over rhubarb and bake 10 to 20 minutes, until golden.