- Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 5 lbs apples, sliced thinly
- 2-1/2 C flour
- 1 C sugar
- 3-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling
- Butter a 9” x 11” cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening, or rub in well with fingers.
- Make a hole in center and break in the two eggs and mix.
- Add the 1/2 cup milk and mix thoroughly.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Roll and pat out two-thirds of the dough.
- Spread two-thirds of the dough into the bottom of the pan and up its sides.
- Put the apples in the cake pan on top of the dough
- Roll and pat out the remaining third of the dough.
- Make diagonal strips out of the balance of dough.
- Criss-cross strips over the apples.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
NotesA 2014 addition to the cookbook. Recipe from Adryenn Cantor (Fanny’s granddaughter). “When it was cut it was a slice of apple cake, which has a lot of apples as the filling. Delicious!”
Photograph of Fanny Goldstein Chemnick (1886–1955), Syd Goldstein’s sister & Grandma Goldstein’s aunt.
May be kosher and ovo-lacto vegetarian, depending on what type of shortening is used.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!See More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More