- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time: 60
- 1/2 c Instant potato flakes
- 1/3 c Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 c oil
- 3/4 c milk, scalded
- 1/2 c water
- 1 pkg yeast
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/2 c water
- 3-3/4 c flour
- 1 egg
- 1 12 oz can of your favorite pie filling (mine is poppy seed!)
- 1.In large bowl, mix potato flakes, sugar, salt, oil, scalded milk and water.
- 2.Dissolve yeast in 1/4 c warm water.
- 3.Add beaten egg and half of flour. Beat well.
- 4.Mix in remaining flour.
- 5.Allow dough to rise until double the size.
- 6.Form dough into small balls.
- 7.Allow dough to rise again until double the size.
- 8.Make dents in each ball.
- 9.Fill dents with desired filling.
- 10.Let rise for 10 minutes or until double.
- 11.Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown.
- 12.Brush with melted butter or oil immediately after removed from oven.
NotesComing from a Czech family, kolaches have been our staple at every family gathering. Grandma Helen always made the best. This is her recipe - though I'll be honest, I baked kolaches with her one day, and she never used a measuring cup once - a dash of this, a handful of that. "You just know," she'd tell me.
Submitted by: "Kristin Knisley"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More