GRANDMA LIL'S SOUTHERN MAC & CHEESE
- 7oz pack of Barilla Macaroni
- 2 8oz packs shredded cheddar (some of my guest like even more cheese)
- 1 can of milk or evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of butter (liquefied but not too hot. I've used margarine too)
- 2 TB of flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I usually do about 1tsp of salt and 2tsp pepper)
Boil 7 oz of mac for 7 minutes, meanwhile, mix the ingredients above together (save a quarter cup of butter to coat your noodles and top the casserole).
Drain mac, then put in a buttered casserole dish. Add a bit of melted butter over the noodles- just a bit to very lightly coat. Add the mixture over the noodles.
Gently fold 1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese (make sure it gets into the bottle of the layers too), then heavily coat the top with a second bag of cheese. Drizzle a bit of butter over the top for a nice light golden brown. Bake about 20 min.
Tip: What makes this a down home southern recipe is that amount of the macaroni, and shredded cheese is really determined only by the size of the casserole dish.