- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C shortening
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 C flour
- 1-1/2 tsp IN ALL: cinnamon, cloves, mace
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 C black coffee
- 1 pint honey (1-1/2 lbs)
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- Rind of orange, cooked and ground
- Rind of lemon, grated
- 1 C chopped nuts (optional)
- 20 dates cut small, mixed with 2 T flour (optional)
- Line pans with greased or waxed paper.
- Mix and sift all dry ingredients three times.
- Reserve 1/2 C to mix with nuts and dates.
- Cream shortening and granulated sugar.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add whole eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Add honey and beat well.
- Add flour alternately with coffee, beating well after each addition.
- Add grated orange and lemon rinds and juice.
- Then add reserved flour, nuts and dates.
- Pour into lined pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour.
NotesHoney cake is traditional for Rosh Hoshana (Jewish New Year).
Photo of Yetta Chemnick Levin (1862–1941).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More