- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C shortening
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 C flour
- 1-1/2 tsp IN ALL: cinnamon, cloves, mace
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 C black coffee
- 1 pint honey (1-1/2 lbs)
- 1/4 C orange juice
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- Rind of orange, cooked and ground
- Rind of lemon, grated
- 1 C chopped nuts (optional)
- 20 dates cut small, mixed with 2 T flour (optional)
- Line pans with greased or waxed paper.
- Mix and sift all dry ingredients three times.
- Reserve 1/2 C to mix with nuts and dates.
- Cream shortening and granulated sugar.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add whole eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Add honey and beat well.
- Add flour alternately with coffee, beating well after each addition.
- Add grated orange and lemon rinds and juice.
- Then add reserved flour, nuts and dates.
- Pour into lined pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour.
NotesHoney cake is traditional for Rosh Hoshana (Jewish New Year).
Photo of Yetta Chemnick Levin (1862–1941).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Get Fit With Good Food!
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More