- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe was my grandmothers, passed onto my mother and passed onto me. It is well over 100 year old recipe and its wonderful and moist.
- ½ c. shortening
- 1½ c. white sugar
- 2 eggs (1 at a time)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2/3 c. sour milk
- 3 large mashed bananas
- 3 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 2 t. (level) baking soda
- ½ c. walnut pieces (optional)
- Beat shortening and sugar well. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- In thirds add the flour mixture to the 1st mixture and beat well, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add ½ of the sour milk with the 2 t. of soda added, beat well. Add ½ of the mashed bananas, beat well. Now repeat. After the last of the flour is added, mix well and add the walnuts.
- Pour and spread into 2 loaf pans that have been greased well. I use Pam.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Immediately remove from pan and cool on cooling rack