- Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- Servings: 6 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbls. sugar
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1 - 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
- brown sugar
- raisins or dried cherries, chopped pecans or walnuts
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Using your pastry blender or 2 knives cut in the 1/2 c. Crisco until like meal or small peas.
- Stir in the 1-1/2 c. milk.
- Turn out onto a floured board.
- Knead lightly into a ball, adding flour as needed.
- Roll out into a rectangle, 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch thick.
- Spread the melted margarine over the dough, to the edges.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- If using, sprinkle with the raisins, cherries and/or whatever you like on your cinnamon rolls.
- From the long edge, roll up into a tube. Using water run your finger along the long top edge to help 'stick' that top edge to the roll, like you would do on pie crust.
- Cut in 1 inch rolls.
- Put the pan, you are going to use to bake the rolls, in the oven to heat it a bit and melt some Crisco on it. [sided cookie sheet or 13x9 baking pan]
- Bring out the pan and as you cut the rolls, dip them in the melted Crisco, flip over and place.
- Once, the rolls are all cut and placed on the pan, sprinkle more cinnamon on top.
- Bake 400 degrees, 12 minutes or until golden brown.
NotesMy Grandmamma was a great cook and one of things she made for us on Sundays, before church were these Cinnamon Rolls. A 'treat' for sure. My sister, thinks they are too dry, but for me they mean special Grandmamma love and they are just plain yummy. There were lots of her recipes, I wish I had asked for, but I started out small and asked for this one and a few others, and I'm so glad I did, because it means I can make them, too.
Submitted by: "susan bangs-smith"
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Veggie breakfast burritos, ready to eat
Santa Fe ChiliSee More