- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 3/4 C. white sugar
- 1 1/2 C. light corn syrup
- 1 C. water
- 1 T. spearmint or peppermint, or other flavored extract
- 1/2 t. food coloring (optional)
- 1/4 C. confectioners' sugar for dusting
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 300 to 310° F., or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
- Remove from heat and stir in flavored extract and food coloring, if desired. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet, and dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Let cool, and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.