- Cooking Time: 25 - 30
- Servings: 50 Pcs.
- Preparation Time:
- 10 cups of flour or 2 1/2 lbs.
- 3/4 lb. of butter, room temp.
- 1/4 cup of lard, room temp.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 eggs in all-3 whole eggs and 2 yolks.
- 1 3/4 cup of warm sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 lemon's zest grated, and reserve juice
- 2 1/2 yeast cakes or packs dry yeast
- Mixture for rolling Kipfels in
- 1/2 lb. of ground walnuts mixed with 3/4 cups of granulated sugar.
- Mix yeast and warm water in a small dish and proof according to yeast directions.
- Mix flour and shortening together in a large bowl till like pie dough, only finer. (I use my wire pastry cutter).
- Add all other dough ingredients including yeast mixture and work with your hands till well mixed and dough comes away from your hands and pan.
- If it seems dry, add the lemon juice, 1/2 lemon at a time until soft enough to mix.
- Let rise in a warm place till double in bulk. (I turn on the light in my oven and keep the door closed).
- When dough has risen, pull off about 1/4 of a cup or a small egg sized piece of dough for each cake and flatten to the size of a baby's hand (do not roll with rolling pin) but push into shape.
- Squeeze out about 1 tsp. of Lekvar (see recipe index) jam, and pinch up dough to cover the Lekvar jam entirely.
- Roll in Ground Nut mixture.
- Place on a greased baking pan. Let rise again for about 3/4 of and hour.
- Bake at 350 or moderate oven, 25 to 30 min. or till lightly brown.
- Cakes should be placed close together in pan, but do not crowd too closely.
NotesThe kipfels look like a lot of fat little bundled up babies!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More