- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 1/2 lb. tenderized round steak
- 2-3 c. flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 t. salt
- 2 t. pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 T. pan drippings
- 2 T. flour
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut steak into pieces.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in wide shallow bowl.
- Mix eggs and milk in another wide shallow bowl.
- Coat each piece of meat in flour mixture, then egg-milk mixture, then flour mixture again.
- Let meat set until one inch of oil is hot in skillet and ready for frying.
- Place beef in skillet until side is golden brown.
- Turn until golden brown.
- Put meat on paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of drippings.
- Add flour to drippings stirring until it becomes dark.
- Slowly pour milk into pan while stirring it into roux to break up lumps.
- Turn heat to medium low and keep stirring until thickened.
- If too thick, add a little milk.
NotesThis was a staple meal at Jim's parents' house. And his mom was the best cook in town! Here is her famous recipe for chicken fried steak and cream gravy. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More