- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb green beans, washed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb or so of some sort of cured pork: bacon, salt pork, ham hocks
- Pepper to taste (lots!)
- To prepare the beans, you want to remove the ends and break (or cut) the beans into about 1" lengths.
- In a large pot, saute your pork for a few minutes to release some of the fat (don't need to fully cook it. It's there just for flavor. You're not gonna eat it)
- Toss in the onions and saute until just tender. Add your beans, and cover with water. Lots of water cuz they're gonna simmer for a while. Sprinkle a good teaspoon of pepper in the pot and bring just to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes or until the beans are good and cooked. Not crisp tender....but soft! During the cooking time you may need to add another cup or two of water.
- Remove pork and discard....(thanks for coming....you guys were wonderful)
- Season as needed....most likely will not need much if any salt with all that salty, fatty pork.
- Drain and serve
NotesThis is a recipe that I like to include in my menu when making a good ole southern meal. My sister passed it on to me after getting the recipe from our grandmother.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More