GRANNY’S HOMEMADE ITALIAN SAUCE
- 3/4 to 1 lb Italian sausage links (mild, hot, or mixed)
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 onion chopped (may use green onions)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tsp dried oregano*
- 1 tsp dried basil*
- 2 large or 3 small bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried parsley*
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 to 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp’ real’ butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb pasta of your choice cooked as directed
- * If using fresh herbs you will need to use twice as much, or to taste.
Brown sausage in skillet, drain on paper towels, set aside.
In clean heated pan place olive oil then butter.
Sauté bell pepper, onions and garlic over med heat, about 5-7 mins
Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, oregano, basil, bay leaves cooked sausage and water as needed.
Cook covered over low heat about 30-45 mins stirring frequently as needed.
Cook pasta in salted water as directed, drain.
Pour sauce over pasta and serve.
May serve with tossed salad and garlic bread.