- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 4 oz butter, very soft
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 6 oz caster sugar
- rind of 1 lemon, grated
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Beat butter, flour, caster sugar, rind, eggs and milk on a low speed until mixed, then turn speed on high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Place in a greased and floured loaf tin, bake for approx. 1 hour at 180 degrees celsius.
- Meanwhile put lemon juice and icing sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- When cake is cooked, prick top all over while still hot and spoon lemon mixture over the cake.
- Leave to cool before turning cake out.
NotesThis is a work in progress. My grandmother was a proud and excellent baker. She didn't share many of her recipes, but I found this one recently which she gave to my mother - perhaps because it was my brother's favourite. Only problem - she didn't include any icing in the recipe! I guess it would work best with a lemon frosting, but your ideas are welcome.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More