- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 4 oz butter, very soft
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 6 oz caster sugar
- rind of 1 lemon, grated
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Beat butter, flour, caster sugar, rind, eggs and milk on a low speed until mixed, then turn speed on high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Place in a greased and floured loaf tin, bake for approx. 1 hour at 180 degrees celsius.
- Meanwhile put lemon juice and icing sugar in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- When cake is cooked, prick top all over while still hot and spoon lemon mixture over the cake.
- Leave to cool before turning cake out.
NotesThis is a work in progress. My grandmother was a proud and excellent baker. She didn't share many of her recipes, but I found this one recently which she gave to my mother - perhaps because it was my brother's favourite. Only problem - she didn't include any icing in the recipe! I guess it would work best with a lemon frosting, but your ideas are welcome.