- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time: 4 hours
BackstoryThis is my mother's favorite bread. When she would go "home" to visit. My Granny would always make this bread. it's best fresh from the oven with melted butter and jam. Granny is no longer with us, but I have her recipe book. When I made this for my mom at a family reunion, she cried.
Submitted by: "Kimberly Bishop"
- 1 1/8 cups all pupose flour
- 1 1/8 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned oats)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast*
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- *Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water before combining with the remaining ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients, mixing to form a shaggy dough. Knead dough, by hand (10 minutes) or by machine (5 minutes) till it's smooth.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow it to rest for 1 hour; it'll become quite puffy, though it may not double in bulk. Shape as directed below.
- Shaping: Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface, and shape it into a log. Place the log in a lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, cover the pan with a lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, till it's crested 1" to 2" over the rim of the pan.
- Baking: Bake the bread in a preheated 375°F oven for 45 minutes to an hour. If the bread appears to be browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the final 10 minutes of baking.