- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 12 1/2 c Unbleached Flour 2 T Salt
- 5 c Vegetable Shortening
- 2 1/2 c Flaky Pie Crust Mix 1/4 c ICE Water
- 1 ea Large Egg, Beaten 1 T White Vinegar
- Combine unbleached flour and salt in a large bowl and blend well. With a
- pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Mixture will
- resemble cornmeal in texture. Put in a large airtight container and lable
- as Pie Crust Mix. Store in a cool, dry place and use within 10 to
- 12 weeks. Or put about 2 1/2 cups of mixture each into 6 freezer bags.
- Seal and label bags and freeze. Use within 12 months.
- Makes about 16 cups mix, enough for 6 double pie crusts or 12 single pie
- PIE CRUST:
- Crumble Pie Crust Mix, if frozen. Put mix in a medium bowl. In a
- small bowl, combine ice water, egg and vinegar. Sprinkle a spoonful of
- the water mixture at a time over the flaky pie crust mix and toss with a
- fork until dough barely clings together in the bowl. Roll out dough to
- desired thickness between 2 sheets of lightly floured waxpaper. Place
- dough in 9-inch pie plate without stretching. Flute edges. If filling
- recipe calls for a baked picrust, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. (220
- degrees C.). Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until very lightly browned. Cool.
- Fill and bake according to directions for filling. For double crust pie,
- place top crust over filling, press and flute edges, and cut slits in top
- crust. Makes enough crust for one 9-inch double-crust pie or two
- single-crust pies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
The NourishFull Kitchen
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More