- Cooking Time: 20-25 min
- Servings: Lots!
- Preparation Time: 5 min
- 2 ½ cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
- 1 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut (or Unsweetened for healthier alternative)
- 1/3 cup Untoasted Sunflower Seeds
- ¼ cup Hulled Sesame Seed
- 4 tbs Unsalted Margarine/Butter (if using Salted Butter do not add the salt below)
- ¼ cup (Packed) Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Honey
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Toasted Wheat Germ (if using Raw Wheat Germ either toast first for 10 min or add halfway through toasting dry ingredients)
- ½ cup Raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Spread oatmeal, coconut, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds in a large, lightly buttered roasting pan or ovenproof dish (about 11x17 inches works best although smaller pans will do). Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing several times
- Meanwhile, combine in a small saucepan the margarine, brown sugar, honey, and salt and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add the vanilla off the heat.
- Reset the over to 350 degrees, then add the wheat germ to the toasted mixture. Dribble the sugar-honey syrup over the granola, tossing with a fork to coat the dry mixture evenly.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 5 or 6 minutes longer. Add the raisins, toss to distribute, and press the granola down firmly into an even layer. Bake 5 minutes or so longer, or until the granola is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Slip a flexible spatula under the granola to break it into large pieces. Let cool completely and store airtight.
NotesA granola for granola lovers, who, from the proliferation of brands available, must be increasing in their ranks at a frightening rate. This is a toasty, baked version, because we don’t happen to like raw cereals. By all means, don’t stop at this if you’re a granola fiend; experiment with all manner of nuts, seeds and spices, keeping roughly to these proportions. Have granola with milk or on yogurt or use it to bake Granola Cookies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More