- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 12 to 16 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
BackstoryThis delicious minty cake comes from Betty Crocker; perfect for Saint Patrick's Day!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mint extract
- 3 egg white
- 12 drops green food color
- 2 jars (16 oz each) hot fudge topping
- 1 container (8 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
- 5 drops yellow food color
- Thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped and cut into pieces, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 F. (or 325 F. for dark or nonstick pan).
- Spray bottom only of 13 X 9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
- Make cake mix as directed on box using water, oil, 1 ½ teaspoons of the mint extract and the egg whites; reserve 1 cup of batter.
- Stir 3 drops of the green food color into the reserved batter and set aside; pour remaining batter into the pan.
- Drop green batter by generous tablespoonfuls randomly in 12 to 14 mounds onto the batter in the pan; cut through batters with metal spatula or knife in S-shaped curves in one continuous motion.
- Turn pan ¼ run; repeat cutting for swirled design.
- Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; run knife around side of the pan to loosen the cake; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Carefully spread the fudge topping evenly over the cake.
- In a medium bowl, stir whipped topping, remaining ½ teaspoon extract, remaining 9 drops of green food color and the yellow food color until blended; spread whipped topping mixture evenly over fudge.
- Garnish with candy pieces, if desired; store covered in refrigerator.