- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 Eggplant
- 6 tablespoonsExtra virgin olive oil
- 1 largeonion; thinly sliced
- 4 clovesgarlic; minced
- 6 Sun-dried tomatoes; soaked in extra virgin olive oil for 1 hour
- 1 Yellow pepper; sliced thin
- 1 Red bell pepper; sliced thin
- 2 stalkCelery; ribs only, diced or sliced
- 1/2 cupTomato paste
- 1 cupTomato sauce
- 4 Anchovies; diced
- 1/2 cupBlack olives; diced
- 1/2 cupGreen Olives; diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsDried oregano
- 1 teaspoonBlack pepper
- 1/2 teaspoonRed pepper flakes
- 1/4 cupFresh parsley chopped
- 1 pinchSalt
- 1. Add sliced peppers to a bowl, splash with olive oil, mix, set aside. Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, lightly salt, set onto a plate, and let them sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse off salt and drain on paper towel in a colander.
- 2. Preheat your oven to 400°F
- 3. Lay out the eggplant onto a baking sheet, drizzle eggplant with olive oil, bake for 15 - 20 minutes until eggplant is a nice brownish color. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
- 4. Once eggplant is cooled, dice into cubes, and set aside in a bowl.
- 5. Heat 2 tbsp evoo in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute for 3 - 4 minutes until softened.
- 6. Add garlic, and celery for 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned
- 7. Add the reserved eggplant, warm through about 2-3 minutes stir occasionally
- 8. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and sun dried tomatoes with oil, if your using them. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
- 9. Add peppers, capers, anchovies, olives, parsley, mix well, add black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste, mix well, turn heat to low, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- 10. Transfer to a baking dish, let cool for 15-20 minutes, cover, and set into the fridge.
- 11. Serve cold or slightly warm. The Caponata will stay good for up to 7 days covered in the fridge.
- 12. Add pine nuts for added color and taste - Enjoy!
NotesThis is a dish handed down through the generations. A wonderful eggplant dish with a little spice served cold or warm, it will fill you up and bring a smile to your face. A must try for eggplant lovers!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More