Great G-Ma's Sicilian Caponata
6 tablespoonsExtra virgin olive oil
1 largeonion; thinly sliced
4 clovesgarlic; minced
6 Sun-dried tomatoes; soaked in extra virgin olive oil for 1 hour
1 Yellow pepper; sliced thin
1 Red bell pepper; sliced thin
2 stalkCelery; ribs only, diced or sliced
1/2 cupTomato paste
1 cupTomato sauce
4 Anchovies; diced
1/2 cupBlack olives; diced
1/2 cupGreen Olives; diced
1 1/2 teaspoonsDried oregano
1 teaspoonBlack pepper
1/2 teaspoonRed pepper flakes
1/4 cupFresh parsley chopped
1. Add sliced peppers to a bowl, splash with olive oil, mix, set aside. Slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, lightly salt, set onto a plate, and let them sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse off salt and drain on paper towel in a colander.
2. Preheat your oven to 400°F
3. Lay out the eggplant onto a baking sheet, drizzle eggplant with olive oil, bake for 15 - 20 minutes until eggplant is a nice brownish color. Remove from oven, and let cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Once eggplant is cooled, dice into cubes, and set aside in a bowl.
5. Heat 2 tbsp evoo in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute for 3 - 4 minutes until softened.
6. Add garlic, and celery for 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned
7. Add the reserved eggplant, warm through about 2-3 minutes stir occasionally
8. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and sun dried tomatoes with oil, if your using them. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
9. Add peppers, capers, anchovies, olives, parsley, mix well, add black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste, mix well, turn heat to low, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
10. Transfer to a baking dish, let cool for 15-20 minutes, cover, and set into the fridge.
11. Serve cold or slightly warm. The Caponata will stay good for up to 7 days covered in the fridge.
12. Add pine nuts for added color and taste - Enjoy!
Pairs Well With
This is a dish handed down through the generations. A wonderful eggplant dish with a little spice served cold or warm, it will fill you up and bring a smile to your face. A must try for eggplant lovers!