- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 rounding tablespoon butter
- 1 lb chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 eggs well beaten together
- ½ cup nuts (pecans)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt (later became 1/8 teaspoon)
- Cut dates in pieces.
- Sprinkle soda over the dates, then add the boiling water.
- Set aside while you mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the beaten eggs, flour and nuts.
- Add the dates soda and water to this.
- Mix and bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream.
NotesThis recipe is actually my great, great grandmother’s recipe, which has passed from generation to generation in my family. She was just a little girl when her family moved from Nebraska to be in the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889. This recipe would have been made at that time in an old cast iron stove.
Submitted by: "Debbie Ayling"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More