- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lb. chicken, jointed
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 Tbs. vinegar salt to taste
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper powder or more to taste
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2-3 fried potatoes
- Curry leaves for garnishing
- Roast the cinnamon and cloves.
- Powder and keep at hand.
- Cook chicken with 2 chopped onions, turmeric, 1 C. water, salt, vinegar and pepper.
- When done keep aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a frying pan and add the curry leaves, followed by the onions.
- Fry onions to golden brown.
- Add the chicken reserve stock and gently fry till brown.
- Add the reserved stock and simmer till it evaporates.
- Add the roasted and powdered spices.
- Gently mix and remove.
- If gravy is desired, can add more water simmer 2 minutes and remove.
- Garnish with fried potatoes and curry leaves. Serve with white rice or bread.
NotesA family favorite, this recipe can be made with any kind of meat. However chicken was frequently used as my Grandmother Clouse kept chickens and had no problem in slaughtering them. It was also very easy to make and ready in a jiffy. The women in my immediate family were great cooks. Any occasion was a time to socialize and also to exchange recipes and ideas. And we children were the beneficiaries as we were ready to devour anything at any time. In fact this recipe made our mouths water as the most delicious aromas wafted from the kitchen, right into the garden. My favorite food will always be the recipes my mother inherited from her mother, grandmother and other family members. These recipes not only hold the family together, but give us a peek into the past. What a legacy and what an awesome feeling to be bound to the past through something as ordinary as a recipe
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More