- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine), cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices
- Olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) yogurt
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sprinkle the eggplant slices generously with salt and place in a
- colander for 15 minutes. Rinse the eggplant and pat dry. Place the
- eggplant slices on a greased baking sheet and brush generously with
- olive oil. Place under a preheated broiler and broil until lightly
- browned, about 5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, combine the ingredients
- for the sauce in an electric blender or food processor and puree until
- smooth. Layer half the eggplant slices in a greased baking dish and
- spread half the sauce over them. Repeat with the remaining eggplant
- and sauce and top with the grated cheese. Bake in a preheated 350F
- (180C) oven until bubbling and lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
- Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish, 2 to 3 as a main dish.
NotesWe had this for supper last night. It is very good and I will be making it again. DH & I both enjoyed this. We've only been eating eggplant a couple of years so I'm always looking for new ways to fix them. I didn't have any yogurt so I used a combination of 1% fat cottage cheese and no fat cream cheese. I've seen recipes that say yogurt of cottage cheese. Decided I want it a bit creamier then just the cottage cheese and added the sour cream Worked great.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More