- Cooking Time: 50 - 60
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (more for garnishing)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease one 10 inch tube pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set mixture aside.
- Separate the eggs. In a large bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine, 1 1/2 cups sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice together until fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with the yogurt to the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling and frost.
NotesI posted this recipe along with a few others for a member asking for cake recipes containing yogurt in www.teamsugar.com.
I never actually made it, until last night.
Let me just say... YUM!
It turned out to be very moist with the perfect balance of sweet and sour from the lemons.
This is a great afternoon tea/coffee cake.
The best frostings for this cake is either the Italian Meringue Frosting or the Italian Meringue Buttercream.
Both VERY nice, especially the buttercream. mmmmm