- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the yeast and sugar in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of the warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes to proof and ferment it.
- Dissolve the salt in the remaining warm water.
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the middle and put the dissolved yeast and salt water into it.
- With your hands, blend it into a dough.
- You may need a bit more or less water depending on your flour.
- Knead the dough in the bowl with your fists for 10-15 minutes or until it is smooth.
- Pour the oil over the dough and knead it again until the oil is absorbed.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel and set it in a draft free area to rise to double it's bulk (1-2 hours), then punch it down and knead it again for a few minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Cut pieces of dough, egg size or larger, depending on the size of the pita desired, shape them into balls with your hands and roll them out over a lightly floured board or pastry cloth to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Set 2 or 3 pites on a lightly oiled cookies sheet and bake them on the lower rack 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Pitas should be white and soft.
- Wrap the baked pitas in a clean towel until they are cool, then store them in plastic bags to prevent them from drying out.
- When you are ready to use them, heat a bit of oil in a shallow skillet and fry them a minute or so on each side, or until golden brown.
- Use them immediately, because they get hard when they dry out.
- note* if u dont like to cook them in the oven just (frie) them in the pan with 1 table spoon oil for couple of min, 2 min each side.or until gets gold
NotesThis recipe for Greek pita bread can be used for 'souvlaki' and 'gyros'.
Food Travels Through Italy
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Screen-to-Table Cookbook: Food in FilmSee More
GINGERBREAD(LAURA INGALLS WILDER)
Boneless Roast Turkey Breast With Blueberry Salsa
Perfect Easter HamSee More