- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups white all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the yeast and sugar in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of the warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes to proof and ferment it.
- Dissolve the salt in the remaining warm water.
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the middle and put the dissolved yeast and salt water into it.
- With your hands, blend it into a dough.
- You may need a bit more or less water depending on your flour.
- Knead the dough in the bowl with your fists for 10-15 minutes or until it is smooth.
- Pour the oil over the dough and knead it again until the oil is absorbed.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel and set it in a draft free area to rise to double it's bulk (1-2 hours), then punch it down and knead it again for a few minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Cut pieces of dough, egg size or larger, depending on the size of the pita desired, shape them into balls with your hands and roll them out over a lightly floured board or pastry cloth to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Set 2 or 3 pites on a lightly oiled cookies sheet and bake them on the lower rack 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Pitas should be white and soft.
- Wrap the baked pitas in a clean towel until they are cool, then store them in plastic bags to prevent them from drying out.
- When you are ready to use them, heat a bit of oil in a shallow skillet and fry them a minute or so on each side, or until golden brown.
- Use them immediately, because they get hard when they dry out.
- note* if u dont like to cook them in the oven just (frie) them in the pan with 1 table spoon oil for couple of min, 2 min each side.or until gets gold
NotesThis recipe for Greek pita bread can be used for 'souvlaki' and 'gyros'.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More