- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup rice
- 1/2 cup sugar (or a little less depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 egg
- Wash rice.
- Bring Water, Rice and salt to a boil.
- Cook Rice not fully but somewhat fluffy but don't burn it.
- Add milk, sugar and Vanilla to a boil over medium heat (not high heat) in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Lower heat and then simmer uncovered for one half hour, stirring occasionally.
- Check to see if mixture is thick. If it is not thick enough continue simmering until thickened. This may take another 5 or 10 minutes. (sometimes adding a teeny bit of corn starch helps to thicken it)
- Take off heat.
- Beat the egg.
- Add a few spoonsful of the rice mixture to the beaten egg and stir. Repeat a couple times.
- Then add the diluted egg mixture to the rice mixture and stir well.
- Put back over low heat for a couple minutes continually stirring.
- Pour into serving dishes and sprinkle with cinnamon.
NotesAnother Greek Recipe :)
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Fun appetizers and snacks
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More