- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tblspn shortening
- 3 lbs ground beef (the highest fat content you can get - otherwise, the sauce will dry out and get pasty)
- 3 chopped onions
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- Melt the shortening and brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic.
- When browned, do not drain, add second list of ingredients.
- Simmer until thick, at least 30 minutes. After that, it can be transferred to a crockpot (which is what we do so it doesn't dry out when it's outside during the picnic - this stuff dries out very fast as it cools).
- You know you're doing it right if you see orange pools of fat throughout the sauce.
- This is good stuff.
NotesI heard that "Greek sauce" is a regional type of food. I don't know if this is true, but in case it is, I thought I'd bring it to everyone. This recipe is very similar to the one that used to be made in a local Greek family dinor. It's very high in fat but it goes great over hot dogs at a picnic. We only risk it once a year on Memorial Day
AMFC Clamily Cook Book
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Crevettes de Matane
Bavarian CheesecakeSee More