GREEK TURKEY MEATBALLS
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup zucchini, grated and squeezed
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 red onion, grated
- 2 T. fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 T. chopped fresh mint
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 T. olive oil, or more if needed
- Tzatziki Sauce:
- 8 oz. fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1 small cucumber,peeled and seeded (1 cup grated and drained)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 T. fresh chives, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
Wet bread with water, squeeze out water and tear into small pieces.
Combine with turkey, egg, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, mint, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
Roll into 1/4 cup size meatballs.
For best results, refrigerate before cooking to help hold their shape.
Heat olive oil in non stick frying pan and cook over low heat.
Serve with Tzatki sauce:
Strain the yogurt using a metal strainer or coffee filter for a few hours to remove as much liquid as possible. Set aside
Scoop seeds out of the cucumber with a small spoon. Place cucumber in a mini food processor or grate with a box cheese grater. Drain the liquid, add a little salt, this helps release the liquid.
Combine strained cucumber, garlic, yogurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice, dill, chives and refrigerate for a few hours before serving
Can be stored for about a week
Makes 2 cups