- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWith the summer season in full swing and all those great summer veggies.....here's a great recipe for zucchini.
Recipe courtesy Joanne Lamb Hayes and Lori Stein with Maura Webber, Recipes from America's Small Farms, Villard, 2003
- 1 pound zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
- Olive oil
- Combine the grated zucchini and kosher salt. Set aside for 5 minutes (no more, or it will be mush). Rinse in cold water and squeeze dry in a kitchen towel or press in a strainer or colander until dry.
- Combine the cheese, egg, green onions, flour, pine nuts, dill, oregano, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl; fold in the zucchini. Form into 24 small cakes (about 2 tablespoons of mixture for each) and saute in olive oil, turning once, until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.