- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (7-8 oz each, about 2 lbs. total), peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp juice PLUS 1 tbsp grated zest from 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp minced fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1. Heat vegetable oil and butter in heavy-bottomed 12" nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts and foaming subsides, swirling pan occasionally. Add potatoes in uncrowded single layer; cook until golden brown (pan should sizzle but not smoke), about 6 minutes. Using tongs, turn potatoes so second cut sides are down; cook until deep golden brown on second side, about 5 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly, and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of paring knife, about 5 minutes.
- 2. While potatoes cook, combine garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and oregano in small bowl. When potatoes are tender, add garlic-lemon mixture, salt and pepper; stir carefully (so as to not break the potato wedges) to distribute. Cook, uncovered, until seasoning mixture is heated through and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle potatoes with parsley, stir gently to distribute; serve immediately.
- Cutting the potatoes wedges into roughly the same thickness will help make all the potatoes cooked to the same doneness at the same time. By pan frying first, then covering and steaming gently, you finish cooking the insides of the potato, but the exteriors remain fairly crisp. Then letting them cook again uncovered at the end lets the potatoes absorb the flavorings while cooking off any excess moisture.
NotesAnother gem from those Perfectionists at Cook's Illustrated. A lot of bright, tangy flavors in this one, and they go great with a simple roast chicken. And you might be able to make them with ingredients already in your pantry
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More