- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 oz (about a 5" long chunk) French or other day-old bread
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 large cucumber, cut into chunks
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 4 stalks asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-2" pieces
- 8 kalamata olives (which I forgot to add until after I took the pic :)
- Lemon basil vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or to desired consistency/taste
- Make the vinaigrette first so the flavors can meld as you are prepping the rest of the salad.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes max. Immediately put asparagus into an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- Cut bread into 1" pieces. I decided to leave about half the crust on, but that's your call. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the EVOO and the garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add bread and a pinch of salt. Toss the bread around to coat with the oil and cook until browned, about 6 or 7 minutes (alternatively you could spray/drizzle the bread with the oil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 8-10 minutes). Remove the garlic.
- Toss asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, peppers and feta and toasted bread with vinaigrette and serve.
- Lemon-basil vinaigrette:Most vinaigrettes recipes call for anywhere from a 1:2 to a 1:4 ratio of vinegar to oil. However, I really love a tangy, acidic vinaigrette so I tend to go for the exact opposite. The added bonus is there is less fat :) Combine garlic, basil, lemon juice and vinegar into a food process. Pulse until garlic and basil are in small pieces. Stream in olive oil until desired consistency.
NotesThis is a great way to use up day or two day old bread. This makes two very generous servings (we ate this with about 3 oz. flank steak per person) or 4 smaller servings.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
The Naked Macaron
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More