- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb fresh green beans, cut into 2" pieces, cooked
- 2 TB butter
- 12 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 TB flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups French's French Fried Onions (or more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375' F.
- In a large 12" cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet) melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start giving up some of their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue cooking for another minute or so.
- Add the flour, stir to combine and continue to cook for a minute. Stir in the broth and continue to cook for a minute.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and pour in the half and half.
- Cook for about 6 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the green beans. (this is the point where I let it cool a little and place in the fridge until I'm ready to continue).
- Note: If you put this dish in the fridge, the sauce may have thickened even more while sitting. If that's the case, just add a little (1/4cup?) of broth until you have the desired consistency again.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of French Fried Onions. Sprinkle the remaining onions on top.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes, until bubbly and the onions have browned a bit.
- And there you have it. Easy peasy. Better than ever.
NotesFor the past several years, I've been making Alton's Green Bean Casserole. It only takes a little more time than the "original" Campbell's Soup version. You can do it ahead of time and just stick it in the fridge (before adding the fried onions) until you're ready to cook it. If you've found that the sauce has thickened more than you like, just add a little broth or half and half and you're ready to go.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
The Blue Family Favorites<3See More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More