GREEN GABLES LEMON BISCUITS
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 36
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature (50mL)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125mL)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind or lemon extract (I use quite a bit more extract to taste)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1mL)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (1mL)
- pinch salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 325F (160C)
- 2. In a medium bowl, with a wooden spoon, blend the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Mix in the egg and grated lemon rind or extract
- 3. In a separate bowl, combine all the flour. baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until you have a smooth, soft dough. (I find the dough to be quite sticky when I am making these)
- 4. Flour your hands and pinch off bits of the dough about 1/2 tsp (2 mL) at a time. Roll each bit into a ball or simply drop onto an ungreased baking sheet, about 2 inches (5cm) apart.
- 5. Using the bottom of a glass tumbler that has been greased and dipped in sugar, press each cookie until it is about 1/4 in (5mm) thick.
- 6. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the cookies are barely golden underneath. (These cookies are very tender. After the first 5 minutes or so, check them every minute to see that they are not overbrown.) Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
NotesI can no longer locate the exact book where we found this recipe, but we have been making it for years. It is one of my wife's favorite cookies. I usually end up making a quadruple batch of these, as the recipe doesn't make very many cookies.