Green Gables Lemon Biscuits
1/4 cup butter at room temperature (50mL)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (125mL)
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind or lemon extract (I use quite a bit more extract to taste)
1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
1/4 tsp baking soda (1mL)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (1mL)
1. Preheat oven to 325F (160C)
2. In a medium bowl, with a wooden spoon, blend the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Mix in the egg and grated lemon rind or extract
3. In a separate bowl, combine all the flour. baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until you have a smooth, soft dough. (I find the dough to be quite sticky when I am making these)
4. Flour your hands and pinch off bits of the dough about 1/2 tsp (2 mL) at a time. Roll each bit into a ball or simply drop onto an ungreased baking sheet, about 2 inches (5cm) apart.
5. Using the bottom of a glass tumbler that has been greased and dipped in sugar, press each cookie until it is about 1/4 in (5mm) thick.
6. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the cookies are barely golden underneath. (These cookies are very tender. After the first 5 minutes or so, check them every minute to see that they are not overbrown.) Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Pairs Well With
I can no longer locate the exact book where we found this recipe, but we have been making it for years. It is one of my wife's favorite cookies. I usually end up making a quadruple batch of these, as the recipe doesn't make very many cookies.