- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 cups rice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 cups herbs (parsley, dill and coriander- 1 cup of each) chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3-4 cardamom pods, crushed (can substitute ginger)
1. In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onion until light golden. Add the herbs, spices, and 4.5 cups of boiling water.
2. Cook for about 10 minutes, taste and adjust the seasoning. The broth should be salty and spicy.
3. Add the rice and cook over medium heat until it has absorbed the liquid. Stir the rice with a fork to distribute the herbs evenly.
4. Cover and cook 10 minutes on minimum heat. Turn off the heat, fluff the rice with a fork, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.