- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryEspecially good for chicken enchiladas, equally good just on top of a couple of eggs for breakfast, excellent as a dish to dip in you favorite tortilla chips.
- 1 lb (500g) tomatillos*
- 1/2 medium-sized onion
- 2-4 serrano chiles**
- salt to taste
- Chop coarsely in a blender or food processor all the ingredients listed above, with 1 cup of water and salt to taste. Pour into a small, deep saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it boil gently for about 5 minutes stiring occasionally. The color will change from green to a slightly more yellowish green. Allow to cool room temperature.
- Finely mince about 1 cup (a good hand full) fresh cilantro leaves and add to the above mixture. Blend very fine in a blender. Pour the contents of the blender back into the saucepan, bring to a quick boil and let it cool down. It should fill between 1 1/2 and 2 pint jars.
- *Tomatillos are similar to tomatoes except that they remain green and are usually within a "husk" of paper-like tissue.
- **Serrano chiles are small, stubby ~1 inch long green variety of chile with a sharp, fast heat that tapers off relatively quick.
- These recipes were passed on to me as part of a friend's collection.